In 1879, the valley of the Linth river was connected to the Swiss railway network by the opening of the Swiss Northeastern Railway line from Weesen, but Matt, in the side-valley of the Sernf river, remained unserved. This impacted the local economy, and various proposals were brought forward to provide rail service to the Sernf valley. Eventually, on 8 July 1905, the Sernftal tramway, a metre gauge roadside electric tramway, was opened connecting Schwanden with Matt and other communities as far as Elm. Service on this line continued until 31 May 1969, when it was replaced by road services. In 1967, a cable car was opened to link Matt and Weissenberge.
On 1 January 2011, Matt became part of the new municipality of Glarus Süd.